There are two opportunities for you to nominate prominent geospatial leaders.
1. URISA has opened up the nomination process for candidates for the 2011 GIS Hall of Fame. The Hall of Fame was started in 2005 and the first inductees were Edgar Horwood, Ian McHarg, Roger Tomlinson, Jack Dangermond, Nancy Tosta, and the Harvard Lab. Those considered for entrance into the GIS Hall of Fame must meet the following criteria:
- At least 25 years of sustained professional involvement in the GIS field.
- Original and creative contributions to the field.
- Well known and respected by a wide range of peers.
- Consistent demonstration of sound professional and personal ethics
To date, eleven individuals (ten men and one woman) and one organization (Harvard Lab for Computer Graphics and Spatial Analysis) have been inducted.
Nominations are accepted until May 1st and can be submitted at http://www.urisa.org/hall_of_fame.
2. GeoWorld magazine has announced that it is accepting nominations for its 2011 Geospatial Leadership Awards. The awards aim to “recognize leadership and innovation in the geospatial technology industry” and are given for three categories: Public Enterprise, Private Enterprise and the Innovator Award. The deadline for nominations is fast approaching with nominations due March 15, 2011. Subscribers to GeoWorldMagazine, GeoReport e-newsletter and GeoPlace.com will be voting on the nominees to determine the final awardees. Winners will be announced at the 2011 GeoTec Event in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, on September 29, 2011.
Information taken directly from: GIS Lounge
Sachiye Day, VERTICES intern. firstname.lastname@example.org